Archive for September, 2006

IE7 Is Innocent!

Friday, September 29, 2006 23:29 3 Comments

After noting only the other day that one of the problems is that standardistas agree with each other on pretty much 90% of everything but manage to find the remaining 10% of such worth that they seem able to spend pretty much all of their time bickering about it, I managed to find something from [...]

This was posted under category: Accessibility, Life, Standards, Technology

New Beginnings, and my own.

Friday, September 29, 2006 22:15 33 Comments

I came across a press release yesterday talking about a company called New Beginnings Digital Media in Gateshead. New Beginnings was a charity that gave ICT and web design training to disabled and unemployed volunteers looking to get into the workplace. They became New Beginnings Digital Media — a social enterprise company that provides ICT [...]

This was posted under category: Accessibility, Life, Local Interest, Standards, Technology

The Socialist’s ABC

Friday, September 29, 2006 21:05 19 Comments

I’ve got a little song to share with you that I remember from my childhood. Don’t get confused, I’m not “the little tiny boy” — he’s in the song, okay? Note also that I’m not trying to make any political statement with the inclusion of this song: although I have admitted to leftist leanings before, [...]

This was posted under category: Life, Politics, The Pickards

Doing Porridge

Friday, September 29, 2006 20:00 19 Comments

Norman Stanley Fletcher, you have pleaded guilty to the charges brought by this court, and it is now my duty to pass sentence. You are a habitual criminal, who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard, and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner. We therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term [...]

This was posted under category: Life, Politics

.NET, WCAG, Javascript and Accessibility

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 0:05 98 Comments

Right, before I get started I want to make two points clear: The Javascript thing isn’t Microsoft’s fault, they are working within the limitations of what you can do with HTML and needed Javascript to add in additional behaviour. In this case, the blame is to be laid at the foot of the door of [...]

This was posted under category: Accessibility, Articles, Public Sector, Standards, Technology

Debunking The DDA Myth

Monday, September 25, 2006 22:28 35 Comments

I’m getting pretty sick of picking people up on complete misunderstandings of the UK DDA this point, so I’m going to say it nice and loud here and then just point people in the direction of this post in future. I will also update this post with any new myths about the DDA that I [...]

This was posted under category: Accessibility, Articles, Standards, Technology

Steve’s Favourite Films Meme

Monday, September 25, 2006 21:12 17 Comments

Following on from Stephen Lang’s discussion of his top ten films, I thought I’d try and come up with a list of ten favourites of my own. The only problem being that as I’m coming up with the list, I’ve got a nagging feeling that I’m missing out some tremendous films which would have been [...]

This was posted under category: Memes, The Pickards

@Media 2007

Monday, September 25, 2006 19:41 28 Comments

Well, already the plans for @Media 2007 are being announced. For a start it’s going to be bigger than last year, as it’s being held in three different continents – yes, unlike An Event Apart which I don’t believe has made it as far as Europe yet, Vivabit’s @Media gig will be heading America and [...]

This was posted under category: Standards, Technology

The Lawsonist Tradition

Friday, September 22, 2006 18:41 1 Comment

…this is following on from the Grand Tradition of Lawsonism, whereby you publish terrible jokes on a friday, such as the shaggy dog story about the zoo, and the strange case of the rectally-inserted fruit. Following in that tradition then, here’s my tale of medicinal high-jinks…

This was posted under category: Funnies

User Friendly Licensing: The Campaign Starts Here

Thursday, September 21, 2006 21:05 5 Comments

Isn’t it about time that software manufacturers were held to account for the licensing of their products? What happens is that you go to the shop, you buy a product, you get home and you start to install it. At this point you’re presented with a long and complicated software license, that you’re asked to [...]

This was posted under category: Articles, Language, Standards, Technology